Flu season in Mid-South early, forcing several schools to shut down | Health
Flu season is attacking the Mid-South early this year, forcing several schools to shut their doors until next week.
Both Tennessee and Mississippi are listed at the top for the hardest hit states in the nation.
Right now at least three schools in West Tennessee have confirmed they will NOT re-open until Monday because of the flu - Whitehall Pre-Kindergarten, Trinity Christian Academy, and the University School of Jackson. All are in Madison County.
A school near Knoxville has also shut down with nearly 200 kids sick at home.
Experts said the flu thrives in dry conditions and on any object you touch!
With the holidays around the corner, the virus could spread even faster.
Doctors said if you haven't gotten your flu shot or nasal mist yet, then to do it now.
"A lot of the viral infections are spread person to person, hand to mouth. The best protection is hand washing," said physician Ken Devellis
If you do get sick, make sure to stay at home so others won't get sick!
Get rest, drink plenty of liquids, and take medicine to relieve those symptoms!
We are in touch with Memphis School leaders who have not seen any outbreaks yet.
They are monitoring school attendance and are in contact with the Shelby County health department.
Upcoming Events near Millington
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- City Council, Mayor Wharton at odds over potential AutoZone purchase
- Shelby Co. leaders vote against being a part of convention center expansion study
- Council delays vote again on purchase of AutoZone Park
- RACE DAY GUIDE: Thousands prepare for St. Jude Memphis Marathon
- Memphians will find no room at downtown hotels
- Tipton Co. Sheriff's Office gets award for traffic safety
- 61-year-old cancer patient could face charges after filing inconsistent home invasion report
- Tenn. officials concerned ice storm could be ‘major historic event'
- Robbers with ski masks attack 61-year-old cancer patient
- Tipton County college campus hosts naming ceremony to honor BMHCC