Severe storms leave behind trail of damage in the Mid-South | News
MILLINGTON, TN- (WMC-TV) - Storms swept through the Mid-South overnight, and many are left picking up the pieces this morning.
In Millington, dozens of families at the Westside Mobile Home Park have been evacuated and are being assisted by the Red Cross. In the video above, you can see the damage just moments after the storm toppled several trees last night.
We have been told that about six or seven of the mobile homes were damaged. However, no one was injured. Something city leaders credit continuous weather coverage and sirens alerting people in time.
Eric Millington, who lives at Westside Mobile Home Park, says he rode out the storm inside his home with his 3-year-old son.
"It sliced it open like a can, you can see the sky when you go in my kitchen," Millington said. " It was rough."
But people in Millington were not the only ones braving the storms overnight.
This morning, we are hearing reports of a possible tornado touchdown in Crittenden County, Arkansas.
Law enforcement officers say it crossed I- 55 just South of the Highway 63 interchange.
Northern Mississippi was also hit pretty hard. At least 15,000 outages have been reported, but those have been decreasing throughout the night as crews continue working to get power back.
There was one report of a tree on a home in Senatobia, which is in Tate County. But law enforcement tells us no injuries were reported.
And later today, the National Weather Service will have survey teams in the Mid-South to confirm any tornado touchdowns.
We will continue to update you guys on the storm damage as more information comes in. Action News 5's Amy Speropoulos is live in Millington, and will have updates through the morning show.
Don't forget to send your storm photos to email@example.com.
Copyright 2012 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Millington
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Wharton on AutoZone Park: 'We're starting the ball game over'
- Children from St. Jude, Le Bonheur fly to 'North Pole'
- Z-Bo takes the shirt of his back, gives it to young fan
- City Council, Mayor Wharton at odds over potential AutoZone purchase
- Shelby Co. leaders vote against being a part of convention center expansion study
- Residents fear dangerous Mid-South intersection
- Fatal train, car accident kills father
- Tipton Co. Sheriff's Office gets award for traffic safety
- 61-year-old cancer patient could face charges after filing inconsistent home invasion report
- Tenn. officials concerned ice storm could be ‘major historic event'