Suburbs file final brief in municipal school lawsuit | Schools
A final argument has been filed in federal court in an effort to clear the way for municipal school districts in Shelby county.
According to the Commercial Appeal, attorneys representing the six municipalities filed their final argument for lifting a statewide ban on new municipal or special school districts.
In November, a judge ruled against municipal school districts, saying the current law only applies to Shelby County.
No word on when the judge might respond to the filing.
If they prevail, suburban leaders say they it will likely be 2014 before schools will open.
Upcoming Events near Millington
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Tenn. officials concerned ice storm could be ‘major historic event'
- Robbers with ski masks attack 61-year-old cancer patient
- Tipton County college campus hosts naming ceremony to honor BMHCC
- Sells Family Recognized at DSCC Annual Foundation Board Dinner
- Tipton County deputies investigate robbery and home invasion